Jefferson City, MO – Missouri Governor Bob Holden this week changed the reason for calling the current special session in Jefferson City.
Originally, Holden called lawmakers back to come up with ways to raise new money for the state. Holden wanted lawmakers to let voters decide whether to raise taxes, but the Republian-led Legislature instead passed a new budget using some newly-available federal money.
St. Louis, Mo. – Missouri Governor Bob Holden is defending the action he took earlier this week in altering the direction of the special legislative session that began June 2.
Holden had initially called the session in hopes of reversing deep budget cuts the Republican-controlled legislature passed in May. But on Wednesday, the governor deleted his original budget requests and asked lawmakers to pass a three-month emergency appropriation for education.
St. Louis, MO – SNAP board member Mark Serrano calls Bishop Paul Bootkoski of the Metuchen, New Jersey diocese a "model" bishop. Serrano says Bootkoski has fully cooperated in criminal proceedings against an abusive priest, and was the first bishop to invite a member of SNAP to sit on his diocesan review board. Serrano says all bishops must follow Bootkoski's example:
Venice, Ill. – The Venice School Board in the Metro-East has asked the state of Illinois for financial oversight.
The state will now appoint a three-member panel to approve a financial plan, balance the budget, and approve contracts.
The district serves about 270 students in grades K-12. The school board voted to file a petition for the panel after it was unable to determine how it spent more than $3 million dollars in state funds.
St. Louis, MO – Bishops gave reports on various policy matters but formal presentations did not address the sexual abuse scandal the church has been dealing with for more than a year. Starting next week, every Catholic diocese in the country will be audited for their compliance to the church's national charter on sexual abuse prevention. Kathleen McChesney leads that office:
Washington, D.C. – The Air Force won't court-martial two Illinois pilots who mistakenly bombed Canadian troops last year, killing four in Afghanistan. That's according to a senior defense official who spoke only on the condition of anonymity.