Mon July 18, 2011
Carnahan keeping options open for 2012
St. Louis Congressman Russ Carnahan says he has every intention of running for congress next year despite losing his seat to redistricting.
So far the elimination of his 3rd District has done little to tamp down Carnahan’s fundraising, having brought in more than a half million dollars since January.
Without saying which district he’s looking at Carnahan says there may yet be a legal challenge to the new congressional maps, which currently favor the GOP.
“I’m 100 percent focused on running for congress next year,” says Carnahan, “and you know we are also going to be watching any court review of the maps that the legislature drew because I think the lines that they drew are not necessarily the ones that we are going to be running in next year.”
As it stands, Carnahan’s only options would be to challenge fellow Democrat Lacy Clay what would be a very divisive 1st District primary, or make a run at the Republican-leaning 2nd District, which comprises parts of St. Louis, St. Charles and Jefferson counties.
Russ Carnahan / Election 2012