Columbia, MO – Three people injured by a hydrogen gas explosion at a University of Missouri biochemistry lab have been released from a Columbia hospital. The university said a fourth person is in good condition.
The blast Monday afternoon blew several windows out of a lab building. Initial reports said a hydrogen tank exploded, but that turned out not to be true.
The Columbia Fire Department said too much hydrogen built up in an anaerobic hood - a device used to study bacteria that cannot survive in oxygen.
Columbia Fire Department Captain Eric Hartman said people working in the lab ignored a warning system.