Thu May 12, 2011
Lockdown lifted on Missouri S&T campus after shooting suspect apprehended
The location of Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla, Mo.
Updated 1:40 p.m.
- 31-year-old Cody Willcoxson, the alleged shooting suspect, is in custody. He was captured when a Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper on a routine patrol spotted the stolen car Willcoxson was driving.
- Willcoxson was taken into custody following a short pursuit, but Capt. Lee Ann Kenley, Troop I's commander, says Willcoxson did not resist arrest.
- Willcoxson suffered a superficial wound sometime during the day and was being evaluated by emergency medical personnel. He will be taken to the Phelps County jail after receiving medical treatment.
- Willcoxson already faces four felonious assault on law enforcement charges for firing at Rolla police during the pursuit. Bail has been set at $1 million. Rolla police chief Mark Kearse expects Willcoxson to face additional charges from authorities at Fort Leonard Wood, St. Robert and Pulaski County.
- Authorities found drugs, believed to be methamphetamine, in Willcoxon's original car, which he abandoned in Rolla. They have not located the original weapon, which is believed to be an assault-like rifle.
- Police believe Willcoxson acted alone, and have no motive for the shooting.
Updated 1:21 p.m.:
According to Missouri S&T's Twitter account:
- "Shooting suspect apprehended south of Rolla, Missouri S&T lockdown is lifted by Chief Laughlin."
Updated 12:12 p.m. via the Associated Press:
Authorities say a gunman who entered and left Missouri University of Science and Technology building earlier tried breaking into a nearby Army base and fired on police who pursued him.
Fort Leonard Wood spokesman Mike Warren says the suspect tried to enter the Army installation through its west gate Thursday morning. The security guard determined the man's identification didn't look legitimate and told him to leave. Instead, the driver accelerated and drove through the gate.
Military police pursued him until he fled the base, and police from nearby St. Robert chased him toward Rolla about 30 miles away.
St. Robert police chief Curtis Curenton says his officers were fired on with what appeared to be an AK-47 machine gun during the pursuit.
The Rolla campus is on lockdown.
- This morning a shooter was reported on the Missouri University of Science and Technology campus via the University's website.
- As of 10:14 a.m., the University's website reported the following situation:
May 12 - 10:14 am
Campus is still on lockdown and operating under emergency conditions.
Suspect was last seen near White Columns Dr. wearing a blue and white t-shirt and possibly khaki cargo shorts. Suspect is a caucasian male with sandy blonde hair and is considered dangerous. Suspect is possibly bleeding from hand.
If you have information regarding the suspect please call the
Rolla Police Dept. 573-308-1213
- University campus police told KCUR's Frank Morris that the suspect, carrying an AK-47, was being chased by sheriff's deputies from another county prior to arriving on campus, and that the chase began several miles away from Rolla, Mo., where the University is located.
- For the latest updated information from the University, see their website and their Twitter page.