Morning headlines: Thursday, April 21, 2011 | St. Louis Public Radio

Morning headlines: Thursday, April 21, 2011

Apr 21, 2011

St. Louis Police Make Arrest in Beating Death of Vietnamese Immigrant

St. Louis Police have arrested an 18- year- old in connection with the beating death of an elderly Vietnamese man in South City. Police have arrested Elex Murphy of North St. Louis and are holding him without bond. Murphy is charged with 1st degree Murder, 1st Degree Assault and two counts of Armed Criminal Action.

A police investigation revealed the attack was part of a game which involves unprovoked attacks on innocent bystanders. An investigation to identify other suspects is ongoing.

Missouri Towns Preparing for Flooding

Every Missouri town along the Mississippi River is now under a flood warning as the Mississippi spills out over its banks. With significant rain expected over the next several days, people in flood-prone communities are bracing for significant flooding.

The National Weather Service is predicting what it describes as moderate flooding in several towns - Canton, Hannibal, Louisiana, Clarksville, Winfield, even as far south as Cape Girardeau. But that doesn't account for rain beyond 24 hours away, and the Weather Service expects rain every day into early next week.

Flood buyouts have removed most residents from the flood plain in Missouri, but moderate flooding would close several roads, drench tens of thousands of acres of farmland, and threaten some homes and businesses.

Baby Joseph Leaves Cardinal Glennon

The child known as Baby Joseph has left St. Louis to return home to Canada. Fifteen-month-old Joseph Maraachli left Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center in St. Louis today and flew with his family to their home in Ontario, exactly one month after the child received a tracheotomy aimed at extending his life.

Joseph suffers from the progressive neurological disease Leigh Syndrome. Doctors in Canada refused to perform the tracheotomy, saying it was futile because the child's disease is terminal, and an Ontario court decided doctors could remove the child's breathing tube. His family sought help from American hospitals, and Cardinal Glennon agreed to treat Joseph. The hospital said the tracheotomy was a success and Joseph has been breathing without a ventilator for more than a week.