One dead, four others injured in Metro East road accident
Will be updated.
Updated 12:11 p.m. May 23:
The name of the driver involved in the accident has been released by the Illinois State Police along with the names of the others injured - with the exception of worker Dennis Beard, who died, as we previously reported. They are as follows:
- Driver: Michael Jeter, 34, of West Frankfort, Ill.
- Kory J. Links, 39, of Pocahontas, Ill.
- Adam Evans, 32, of Pocahontas, Ill.
- Brian Moore, 40, of Hoyleton, Ill.
Updated at 3:22 p.m. with additional information and details directly from a release from the Illinois State Police:
- All lanes are now open on I-64.
- A total of five people, all males, were involved in the accident, which occurred at approximately 9:38 a.m.
- Two construction workers were air lifted, and one was transported by ground, to St. Louis University Hospital. One construction worker was transported to Barnes-Jewish Hospital and the driver of the passenger car was transported to Memorial Hospital in Belleville.
What happened during the accident?
- The passenger car struck a truck mounted attenuator (TMA) that was attached to the rear of a construction vehicle. The construction vehicle was parked on the inside shoulder of I-64. All of the construction workers were on or near the TMA when it was struck.
The investigation of the accident is ongoing by Illinois State Police Crash Reconstruction Officers.
Updated 12:13 p.m. One of the construction workers injured in the accident has died. Saint Louis University Hospital identified him as Dennis Beard. Spokeswoman Laura Keller had no other information about him or the nature of his injuries. She says the other two workers are still being treated for their injuries.
Updated 11:16 a.m. with information from KTVI.
Updated 11:07 a.m. Please refer to traffic map for latest road condition information.
Three contract construction workers have been confirmed injured by the Illinois State Police in an accident in the Metro East.
The single-vehicle accident happened in a construction zone on eastbound I-64 just east of 159, near St. Clair Square. The driver of the vehicle also sustained injuries, but there's no word on the degree of those injuries yet.
The workers were working on a drainage improvement project.
(For the latest on traffic in this area, see our traffic map).
KTVI is also reporting that at least two workers have been airlifted to St. Louis University Hospital by Arch helicopter.
We'll update this story here as we know more.