Sequester
3:07 pm
Tue March 19, 2013

Sequester Won't Stop Tuition Help For Military Students At Webster, Lindenwood Universities

Members of the military enrolled at two St. Louis-area universities will continue to get a break on their tuition, despite the automatic budget cuts known as the sequester.

Four of the five branches of the military suspended future grants earlier this month to meet the sequester requirements - but Lindenwood and Webster universities say they'll use their own resources to replace the federal tuition assistance program. 

Here are a few fast facts about what's involved:

  • Both Webster and Lindenwood officials say their cost depends on how many students take advantage of the grants.
  • About 120 students total are eligible at the schools.
  • Eligible members of the armed forces could receive as much as $4,500 a year for higher education. 

Lindenwood's dean of students, Terry Russell, says education is required to advance in a military career.

"It means promotion points," Russell says. "For individuals who want to become officers, they have to have a bachelor's degree. And we want them to continue to do that. We don't want to have them have to go somewhere else just because we're a private school."

Retired Air Force Brigadier General Mike Callan is Webster's associate vice president for military and government programs. He says he's pleased the university is stepping up - but hopes the effort doesn't last too long.

"You would hope that our political leaders would be able to compromise on some fiscal actions that make this unnecessary."

Of the approximately 120 total students eligible for funding at both schools, about 70 are at Webster, and another 40 to 50 at Lindenwood.

Follow Rachel Lippmann on Twitter: @rlippmann