Tue December 7, 2010
Unemployment numbers released for St. Louis
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics released data today about the state of unemployment over the past year for the St. Louis Mo.-Ill metropolitan area. We have some of the highlights for you:
- St. Louis Mo.-Ill. registered an unemployment rate of 9.3 percent in October 2010 (not seasonally adjusted).
- Nationally, the unemployment rate was 9.0 percent in October 2010, not seasonally adjusted.
- Employment rose in St. Louis at a rate of 0.1 percent, but not as much as it did nationally, 0.5 percent.
So who was getting hired?
- Education and Health Services: 4,400 hired
- Leisure and Hospitality: 1,300 hired
And who was let go?
- Mining, logging and construction: Down 3,000 from one year ago.
More detailed current data can be found on the Metropolitan Area Summary Pages.