Debris from the May tornado that ripped through Joplin, Mo. The federal government will cover 90 percent of the costs in the hard-hit area designated for FEMA's enhanced cleanup payments, and the state of Mo. will pick up the remaining 10 percent.
The city of Joplin is off the hook for paying for the first couple of months of debris removal following a devastating tornado in May.
The federal government is paying 90 percent of the cost in the hard-hit area designated for the Federal Emergency Management Agency's enhanced cleanup payments, instead of the usual 75 percent. The state will be picking up the 10 percent not covered by FEMA under the expedited debris removal program that runs through next Sunday. Mo. Gov. Jay Nixon said two-thirds of the properties have been cleared so far.
St. Louis county homeowners or renters who were impacted by the April 22nd tornado or storms must register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency this week to learn if they qualify for grant assistance.
The deadline to register with FEMA is Friday, July 29th.
Andrea Jackson-Jennings is the Director of Human Services for St. Louis County. She says, so far, FEMA has taken nearly 1500 registrations in St. Louis County and provided more than $971,000 in grants to individuals and families.
A overturned car sits where a house once stood in Joplin, Mo. on May 24. Mo. Gov. Jay Nixon has announced that the federal government will pay 90 percent of costs associated with expedited debris removal from Joplin.