Missouri Governor Jay Nixon (D) has reversed course on a proposed rule change that would have cut food stamp eligibility for unemployed adults without children.
Nixon had initially cited concerns over the amount of federal funds available for state-run food assistance programs, but now says there's more certainty due to the end of the partial government shutdown last week. Fellow Democrat and State Senator Jamilah Nasheed of St. Louis says she's elated by the governor's reversal.
An official with the Missouri Department of Social Services (DSS) briefed a House Interim Committee Monday on Governor Jay Nixon's (D) proposed rule change to cut able-bodied adults without children from the federal food stamp program (SNAP) if they don't have a job.
Allison Campbell with the DSS Family Support Division says they initially sought to implement the change on October 1st via emergency rule, but she admits that approach was a mistake.
While the national average shows 14.7 percent of American homes had low or very low food security between 2010 and 2012, Missouri's average is 16.7 percent, or about one out of six households. That's up from 15 percent during the 2007-2009 survey period. Glenn Koenen is Hunger Task Force Chair for the Missouri Association for Social Welfare.