Civilian workers returned to Scott Air Force Base today after almost a week on furlough because of the government shutdown. Their return was a result of a Department of Defense ruling that civilian workers whose mission contributes to “the morale, well-being, capabilities and readiness of service members” could return to the job with pay.
Colonel Tom Clancy is Chief of the Joint Cyber Center at Scott Air Force Base. He said that during routine sweeps in 2011, more than 44,000 "attempted accesses to systems" at U.S. Transportation Command were discovered. That number quadrupled in 2012.
About 5,100 civilian workers at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois are being forced to take-off 11 unpaid days, as are civilian employees at military installations throughout the Department of Defense. The furloughs begin July 8 and are a result of the automatic federal spending cuts known as sequestration.
Thousands of civilian workers at Scott Air Force Base in southern Illinois will soon begin receiving furlough notices.
The Belleville News Democrat reports workers will be informed that they must take one day per week of unpaid vacation between next month and September because of mandatory federal budget cuts referred to as the "sequester."
The newspaper says the workers will receive the 30-day notices in the mail by the end of the week.
Earlier this week the Obama Admiration released a state-by-state breakdown of the $85 billion in cuts slated to kick in on Friday.
The report details cuts to expenditures ranging from teachers and schools, to air-traffic control, to public health and head start. Among the line-items slated for the largest cuts is military readiness and defense, or more specifically by civilians working for the Department of Defense.
Illinois’ elected officials are warning that looming sequester budget cuts would have significant impacts on Scott Air Force Base.
Located in Mascoutah, IL, in the Metro East, Scott Air Force Base about 13,000 military and civilian personnel, making it one of the largest employers in the St. Louis region.
U.S. Senator Dick Durbin says the $85 billion in across-the-board cuts set to kick in on Friday would affect about 4500 civilian employees at Scott and would cause significant harm to the readiness of our military.
Hundreds of local Air National Guard jobs are on the chopping block as part of the Defense Department’s plan to cut $500 billion over the next decade.
Missouri Congressman Todd Akin, chairman of the Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee, says more than 700 servicemen at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis and Scott Air Force Base near Belleville, Ill. may lose their jobs by the end of the fiscal year.