© 2022 St. Louis Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Report says Adrienne Martin died of accidental overdose

Adrienne Martin was the girlfriend of former Anheuser-Busch CEO August Busch IV. She was found dead at his estate on Dec. 19. Martin's cause of death was released today. (UPI/Handout)

Updated 3:29 p.m. Feb. 10, 2011:

Prosecuting Attorney Robert P. McCulloch announced today that Martin had lethal levels of both oxycodone and cocaine in her blood when she died, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. He said that neither Martin nor Busch had a prescription for the oxycodone.

McCulloch also said that the death was "clearly an accidental overdose" and that Busch had "refused" to cooperate after his initial statement to police on the day of Martin's death.

The Associated Press reports that McCulloch says no charges will be filed in connection with the overdose death.

Updated at 2:05 p.m. Feb. 9, 2011 with comments from prosecutor's office.

The St. Louis County Medical Examiner has determined that Adrienne Martin,  the girlfriend of former Anheuser-Busch CEO August Busch IV, died of an accidental overdose of the painkiller Oxycodone.

Law enforcement sources suspected that an overdose was the cause of the 27-year-old's death from the beginning, though her family and friends had rejected the idea.

Martin was found dead in a bedroom at Busch's mansion in suburban Huntleigh on December 18th. She had been dating Busch for about two years. She had an eight-year-old son from a previous marriage.

The statement from the St. Louis County Department of Health makes no mention of the presence of cocaine in Martin's system, a fact reported this weekend by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The Department of Health says the cause of death, "along with the complete report, has been forwarded to the appropriate law enforcement agencies investigating this event." A woman who answered the phone at the Frontenac Police Department, which provides police services for Huntleigh, said the department had no new information. A spokesman for St. Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch says their investigation continues.

Rachel is the justice correspondent at St. Louis Public Radio.

Send questions and comments about this story to feedback@stlpublicradio.org.