Ten Artists Win $20,000 Fellowships From Regional Arts Commission
St. Louis’ Regional Arts Commission has released the names of 10 artists who will each receive $20,000 to help them pursue their work.
RAC named four visual artists, two dance/theater artists, one musician, one media artist and two literary professionals in its second round of awards (full list, below). They were chosen from among 180 applicants.
The program, which began last year, came out of a 2012 RAC survey that showed making a living is one of the biggest challenges for local artists. The grants are not tied to any specific project. Instead, they are designed to give artists the time and opportunity to explore and create.
2014 RAC Artists Fellows
- Saher Alam – Literature
- Jessica Baran – Literature
- Zlatko Ćosić – Media Arts
- Fannie Belle Lebby – Theater
- Fred Onovwerosuoke – Music
- Sarah Paulsen – Visual Art
- Mary Sprague – Visual Art
- Carlie Trosclair – Visual Art
- Keith Tyrone Williams – Dance and Theater
- Cayce Zavaglia – Visual Art
Watch new RAC Artist Fellow Keith Tyrone Williams teach a class using the Katherine Dunham method, in this 2012 video.
Follow Nancy Fowler on Twitter: @NancyFowlerSTL