A Last Look Back At St. Louis' 250th Year
The birthday cakes are disappearing from St. Louis streets, and the Missouri History Museum’s 250 in 250 closes up shop this weekend. But here's a one-stop place to find — at any time — the stories inspired by St. Louis' big anniversary about what makes our area special.
We had fun with history
- Happy 250th Birthday St. Louis! Let's Take A Walk Down Memory Lane (And A Quiz) ... Try the quiz again.
- Pard' My French: St. Louis' Peculiar Way Of Saying Local Street Names ... Parisians will cringe.
- This La Rue Bonhomme Predates U City's Old Bonhomme ... First city streets may have changed names
And told it straight
- St. Louis At 250: Why This Place ... August Chouteau liked humidity?
- Osage Nation Leaders Help Explain St. Louis' Earliest Days ... A largely helpful relationship
- First Evidence Of French Colonial Homes Discovered Under Poplar Street Bridge ... New discoveries keep happening
- Why Is St. Louis Named After A French King Who Was Born 800 Years Ago?
- 10 Things To Know About Saint Louis, Himself, On His 800th Birthday ... Learn about Louis IX
- What Did Explorers Lewis and Clark Do When They Got Back To St. Louis? ... How you pronounce Sacagawea
- Opera Teaches History Of The Ville Neighborhood And Inspires Students ... Annie Malone, Chuck Berry
- Century-Old War Leaves Lasting Impact On St. Louis German Identity ... Berlin Avenue became Pershing Avenue
- Religious Groups Share Common Goal: Assisting Immigrants ... Churches as constant refuges
We found old photos — and riverfront renderings
- St. Louis In Photos: Then And Now ... What was at Fourth and Market?
- These Historical Photos Show How Much St. Louis Has Changed
- Instead Of The Arch, The St. Louis Riverfront Could Have Had … This ... The work of Oscar C. Kuehn
- Forget About The 250th Birthday. Historical Photos Show St. Louis Celebrating Its 150th ... Meeting in Forest Park
- The Sheldon Presents Photos Of St. Louis At 250 Years ... Not all photos are old
We also highlighted things that make St. Louis special
- Why Do Fish Fries Catch All Kinds Of St. Louis Fans? ... It's that time again
- 'Deep And Authentic' Passion Fuels Cardinal Nation ... Best fans in baseball
- The Big Bird Cage: Where The Saint Louis Zoo Took Flight After The 1904 World's Fair ... Innovation and excellence
- St. Louis Family Hands Down Legacy Of Muny Enjoyment — And Employment ... Passing down jobs and seats
- Twelve St. Louisans Take Us Back To The Mid-Century Heyday Of Gaslight Square ... Crystal Palace and Three Fountains
- Hot Air Helps The Great Forest Park Balloon Race Stay Afloat ... Balloon glow was an add on
- Super Secret Government Work Happens In Some Of St. Louis' Oldest Buildings ... Near the brewery
- In Haunted City, Reaching Out To Ghosts Has a Long History ... Eerie tours in Laclede's Landing
- Spirit of St. Louis Grounded For Preservation Work At Air And Space Museum ... Lindbergh's plane gets spruced up