Clothes dryer blamed for house explosion in Carlinville
Springfield, Ill. – Investigators say an electric clothes dryer is to blame for a house explosion in Carlinville, Ill. earlier this month.
Three family members died in the blast.
Carlinville police detective and deputy Macoupin County coroner Gary Sanson says investigators think the dryer ignited natural gas that had accumulated in the home's basement.
Sanson testified before a Sangamon County coroner's jury Wednesday.
The three who died were: Sherry Hatlen, 55; her son Coady, 15; and her grandson, Michael Albracht, 9.
Another of Hatlen's sons, Edwin Tommy, 27, survived the blast. He and other surviving family members are suing Ameren IP and a Carlinville heating and air conditioning company.