This posting will remain open through June 27, 2021.
St. Louis Public Radio is seeking a photojournalist to lead our news staff in visual storytelling. We are a multi-platform newsroom, committed to covering issues that matter to our bi-state region on the radio, web and other online platforms.
As a member of our digital team, you will partner with reporters and editors to produce compelling and essential stories online. Your primary role is to produce and edit photographs for both daily news coverage and long-term projects.
A great candidate for this role will produce moment-defining images; portray the people and issues of our region with nuance, humanity and honesty; explore our diverse community with insatiable curiosity; and excel at working collaboratively with other St. Louis Public Radio journalists.
- Lead the St. Louis Public Radio newsroom in visual storytelling.
- Create, edit and produce photographs and captions for daily news, file use and project-centric storytelling.
- Work with editors, reporters and producers to identify photo opportunities.
- Generate story ideas.
- Coach reporters and producers in the skills and techniques of photojournalism.
- Maintain newsroom photography equipment and technology.
- Assist the digital editor with editing photos made by other newsroom journalists.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Solid editorial judgment with a commitment to accuracy, fairness and ethical journalism.
- Ability to deliver visual journalism of exceptional quality.
- Ability to write clear, incisive and accurate photo captions.
- Mastery of photo editing and production tools.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and remain flexible in an environment where coverage plans change as news develops.
- Proactive and exceptional communicator.
- Ability to see and develop enterprise story ideas.
- Working knowledge of media law and its application to visual journalism.
- Collaborates well with others at St. Louis Public Radio and outside the organization.
- Commitment to using visual journalism to reach new audiences.
- Willingness to do work outside of this role to help the station as a whole.
- Demonstrated ability to cover news stories and community issues in single photographs and multi-image photo packages.
- 2+ years of professional experience producing photojournalism for a daily news organization.
- Ability to report and write news stories.
- Experience or interest in producing audio journalism.
- Proficient in other forms of visual communication, such as video, illustration, design or web layout.
- Familiarity with the St. Louis region.
- Proficient in Spanish, Bosnian or other language other than English that is spoken in the greater St. Louis region.
- Include in your cover letter: How you meet these qualifications, why you want the job and one community or issue in the St. Louis region you would like to spend time documenting.
- Submit a digital portfolio — or link to an online portfolio — that showcases your photojournalism. Include captions.
- Send a resume that includes your employment history, education and other relevant information.
- List at least three references.
St. Louis Public Radio is a service of the University of Missouri - St. Louis. In order to be considered for this position or to view the posting in its entirety, please visit UMSL's employment site and complete an online application. Job ID: 36713. For additional information, contact the supervising editor Brian Heffernan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to building a newsroom demographically representative of the St. Louis region. St. Louis Public Radio and the University of Missouri - St. Louis are equal opportunity employers. We enthusiastically encourage members of groups underrepresented in public media to apply.