© 2022 St. Louis Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Other

Strange Smell Means Early Bell for High School Students

By AP/KWMU

St. Louis – The Clyde Miller Career Academy, a St. Louis vocational-technical high school, will reopen Wednesday after a scare Tuesday morning.

About 80 students and a few teachers and staff became ill with nausea and headaches after reports of an unidentified odor.

The school was evacuated, but Fire Department spokeswoman Kim Bacon says there was no evidence of natural gas, carbon monoxide or other environmental concerns. Health officials concur, and the school will be back in session Wednesday.

Some of the sick were treated at the scene; others were taken to two hospitals.

A spokesman for a hospital that treated 25 of the children says their symptoms, and a test given to them, suggest they'd been exposed to natural gas.

Send questions and comments about this story to feedback@stlpublicradio.org.