SNAP Wants Priest to Go Back to Iowa
By Kevin Lavery, KWMU
St. Louis, MO. – Advocates for victims of clergy abuse delivered a letter to St. Louis archbishop Raymond Burke Thursday urging him to tell the community about an abusive priest from Iowa now living in University City.
The group SNAP says Burke is doing nothing about Father William Wiebler, an admitted child molester who walked away from a church-run treatment facility and is now living near two schools.
SNAP director David Clohessy says Wiebler's abuse dates back to the 1970s, with 12 new allegations over the last year. He says Burke should personally inform the community.
"We'd like for Archbishop Burke to go to the three nearby Catholic parishes and warn them, and say here's a man who might show up and volunteer to watch kids during Sunday school," Clohessy said. "Keep him away."
The archdiocese says it's working with the Davenport, Iowa diocese to send Wiebler back but adds he's not obligated to leave because he's never been convicted of a sex crime.