By Tom Weber, KWMU
St. Louis, MO – Hundreds of local elections were held Tuesday across Missouri and Illinois. They included races for offices like Mayor and School Board, along with a number of referenda.
In St. Louis, Mayor Francis Slay easily won re-election over Green Party nominee Willie Marshall. Slay captured 79% of the vote.
But the biggest race of the day is, in a way, still going on. A partial or full recount is expected in the race for State Senate in Jefferson County:
| MO State Senate Special Election - 22nd District |
|Bill Alter (R)||6,861||30.1%|
|Rick Johnson (D)||6,795||29.8%|
|Harold Selby (I)||6,272||27.5%|
|'Zip' Rzeppa (I)||2,854||12.5%|
| St. Louis School Board |
| St. Louis Mayor |
|Francis Slay (D) (inc.)||19,513||78.7%|
|Willie Marshall (G)||5,272||21.3%|
| East St. Louis City Council |
|Eddie Lee Jackson (inc.)||3,219||25.9%|
|Charles Powell, Jr. (inc.)||2,608||21.0%|
|Lester Boom' Anderson||2,958||23.8%|
| East St. Louis Proposition - Retain Managerial Form of Government?|
Other election highlights:
- In Jefferson County, the mayors of Arnold, Herculaneum, Pevely and Kimmswick all fended off challenges and won re-election.
- In St. Charles County, Donna Morrow won a 5-person race for O'Fallon Mayor.
The mayors of Dardenne Prairie, Portage Des Sioux, Lake St. Louis were re-elected.
Cottleville Mayor Robert Powers, though, was ousted from office by Don Yarber.
- A sales tax question in St. Charles County passed, but other questions in the Washington, Missouri and Fort Zumwalt school districts did not.
- In St. Louis County, school ballot questions in the Bayless, Rockwood, and Lindbergh Districts in St. Louis County failed. But they passed in the Kirkwood, Webster Groves, and Ritenour School Districts.
- Voters in O'Fallon, Ill. said 'NO' to letting the district buy $53 million in bonds to build a new high school.
- In East St. Louis, city councilman Charles Powell Junior is out; Delbert Marion is in. Powell was recently indicted on federal vote fraud charges.
Marion's win shifts the majority on the council to Mayor Carl Officer and his allies. But voters also rejected a proposition to give the East St. Louis mayor more power.
Councilman Eddie Lee Jackson was also re-elected.
To view election results from St. Louis County, click here.
To view results from St. Charles County, click here.
To view election results from Jefferson County, click here.
To view election results from St. Clair County, click here.
To view election results from Madison County, click here.
To view election results from Franklin County, click here.