Man in state care dies from scalding hot bath
Overland, MO – Several investigations are being conducted to figure out why a 36-year-old man was placed in water so hot, it burned him to death.
The man lived at a facility in St. Louis County for the mentally retarded; a worker at Northwest Habilitation Center put him in the tub March 10. The man died last week.
An initial investigation suggests staff neglect and a problem with the water system's temperature control are to blame.
Missouri Department of Mental Health spokesman Bob Bax says workers are supposed to check the water temperature with their hands before placing patients in baths or showers.
The state has taken action against more than one worker, but Bax would not elaborate. The state, St. Louis County police and the county medical examiner's office are all investigating.