Bourisaw still confident SLPS classes will start on time
By Kevin Lavery, KWMU
St. Louis, MO – As some St. Louis public school teachers still wait to learn their assignments, the district chief remains confident that school will start on time, Aug. 28.
Earlier this year, hundreds of city teachers had to reapply for their jobs or request transfers. Now, interim superintendent Diana Bourisaw says out of nearly 3000 positions, just under 200 remain to be filled.
And Bourisaw says nearly all teachers will be assigned by August 23, adding "Many districts often don't place people until the last couple of days because they're trying to be fiscally responsible for their budget.
"In actually, we're ahead of the game because we have additional professional development scheduled."
St. Louis teachers' union officials say they're working with the district to resolve disputes over seniority and placement.
Union president Mary Armstrong says some teachers have already been selected to remain in their home schools. "It's those who have been removed and reassigned and not taken seniority into place in dealing with their assignment, or the transfer process, in looking at the choices that they had. All of those have been problematic."
But Armstrong says she's also confident classes will begin on time on the 28th.
Meanwhile, students in some other districts are starting their school year this week.
- The Ritenour, Ferguson-Florissant, Riverview Gardens and Hazelwood District started Monday.
- Mehlville, St. Charles, Francis-Howell (only middle & high schools), Collinsville, East St. Louis, and Cahokia started Tuesday.
- Today (Wednesday) is the first day of class for the Rockwood, O'Fallon, Ill. and Meramec Valley School Districts.
- Parkway, Bayless, De Soto, Festus, Hancock Place, Hillsboro R-III, Bethalto, Freeburg, Wentzville and Fox schools are among those beginning tomorrow (Thursday).
- Crystal City schools will start Friday.
OTHER START DATES
Aug. 21 - Belleville (Dists. 118 & 201), Clayton, East Alton Elementary District 13, Wellston, Ladue, Maplewood-Richmond Heights, Normandy
Aug. 22 - Edwardsville, Kirkwood, Lindbergh, Mascoutah
Aug. 23 - Brentwood, Fort Zumwalt, Jennings, Triad Unit District 2
Aug. 28 - St. Louis City, Affton, Webster, University City