Attorney General 'reviewing' accident report in Taum Sauk Reservoir case
By Adam Allington, KWMU
St. Louis – Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon responded to criticism Monday that he is taking too long for his investigation of the Taum Sauk Reservoir collapse.
Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder and the utility company Ameren UE said portions of Johnson's Shut Ins state park could be open by this summer, if Nixon drops the threat of criminal charges for the hydroelectric reservoir's collapse.
Kinder said it has been 500 days since the collapse of the reservoir, which is more than enough time to determine if crimes were committed.
"The purpose of this was to call him out publicly and say 'enough is enough, make a decision and publish it to the world,'" Kinder said.
Nixon spokesman Scott Holste says the Attorney General only received accident reports from the state highway patrol last week.
"At this point we are certainly reviewing that, but it is again, very important to reiterate that the final report was given to the attorney general's office six business days ago," Holste said.
Ameren has told the Department of Natural Resources that it will not settle with the state as long as criminal charges are a possibility.