Girl possibly electrocuted in Metro-East
Troy, Ill. – Authorities are investigating the death of a 12-year-old girl who collapsed after apparently touching a metal lamp after she stepped out of a friend's swimming pool.
Madison County's coroner Caitlyn MacKenzie, 12, of Edwardsville fell unconscious at her friend's house in Troy and later died at a Maryville hospital.
Coroner Steve Nonn says Caitlyn got out of the pool and was trying to move a lighted portable lamp in the yard when she collapsed. Nonn says an autopsy uncovered no cause of injury, making the death consistent with electrocution.
Caitlyn had just finished the sixth grade at Liberty Middle School in Edwardsville.
Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday at the Irwin Chapel in Glen Carbon.