© 2023 St. Louis Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Couple on boat rescued after carbon monoxide poisoning


St. Louis, MO – A couple from St. Louis is recovering after being overcome by carbon monoxide while on their houseboat in the Mississippi River.

The Water Patrol on Sunday rescued Richard Reichert, 59, and his wife, Mary, 48. She was seen screaming for help aboard a 42-foot-long houseboat near an island at St. Charles.

Officers found her husband unconscious. He apparently passed out due to a carbon monoxide leak on the boat.

Both were flown to St. Luke's Hospital. He was in serious condition; her injuries were considered moderate.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic, odorless gas produced by the burning of carbon-based fuels, such as gasoline, charcoal and propane.


Send questions and comments about this story to feedback@stlpublicradio.org.