Morning headlines: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 | St. Louis Public Radio

Morning headlines: Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Oct 11, 2011

Cardinals win Game 2 of NLCS

Albert Pujols had one of the biggest postseason nights of his career in Game 2 of the NL championship series, going 4 for 5 with a home run, three doubles and five RBIs as the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Milwaukee Brewers 12-3 last night.

Pujols belted a two-run homer in the first, a two-run double in the third and an RBI double in the fifth, then added another double in the seventh. The crowd cheered sarcastically when the Brewers finally retired him in the eighth. His big hits came one night after Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder bashed the Brewers to a 9-6, come-from-behind victory in Game 1.

The series now shifts to St. Louis, where Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter will face Brewers right-hander Yovani Gallardo tomorrow night.

Nixon and lawmakers disagree over military fighter jets

A new wrinkle of disagreement has emerged in Missouri's special legislative session on business incentives. State lawmakers and Gov. Jay Nixon now apparently are at odds over the production of military fighter jets.

The Missouri House passed a resolution last week urging Congress to provide full funding for the F-35, which is made by Lockheed Martin in Texas. The resolution notes that suppliers for the F-35 support about 500 jobs in Missouri. But Nixon says the resolution does not reflect Missouri's position. Nixon is emphasizing Missouri's support for Boeing, which makes the F/A-18 fighter jet in St. Louis and employs about 15,000 people in Missouri.

The resolution's sponsor, House Republican Caleb Jones, said Monday he also supports Boeing and doesn't think his measure would cost Missouri any jobs.

Inmate escapes while being treated at SLU

St. Louis police are searching for a burglary suspect who bolted from custody while he was being treated at ahospital for an unspecified issue. KSDK-TV reports  that 26-year-old Deangelo Johnson escaped late Monday night while in Saint Louis University Hospital's emergency room.

Johnson had been confined to a local halfway house on a burglary conviction tied to a break-in in June of last year. In August, he was given a suspended 10-year prison sentence and was ordered to spend 120 days in jail, followed by three years of probation.

Police say Johnson escaped while shoeless and wearing a gray jumpsuit, with ankle chains around one leg and attached to his waist. He has the word "Javis" tattooed on his left hand.