Editor's note: This story was originally published in the Belleville News-Democrat.
GRANITE CITY — A 27-year-old man called 911 to send an ambulance to his home when his girlfriend passed out.
He didn’t know what was wrong but told the dispatcher it could be an overdose.
About a month later, he received a letter saying the city wanted his landlord to evict him.
In Granite City, renters can be kicked out after calling for help for someone overdosing on drugs because of the city’s crime-free housing ordinance. Even if no one is arrested or charged with a crime, the drug use breaks Granite City’s rules for renters.