Morning headlines: Cold temps arrive, STL County man dies in icy ravine, Nixon asks Obama for emergency declaration

Feb 3, 2011
  • Missourians began digging their way out following Tuesday's blizzard and winter storm. Snow will remain on the ground for days, even if sunshine breaks through gloomy skies. A combination of dangerously cold air and the sheer amount of snowfall means most Missourians can expect several more days of navigating natural drifts and manmade mountains of snow. Forecasters predicted subzero lows today for all but southeastern Missouri, where lows were expected in the teens and highs in the 20s. At the University of Missouri in Columbia, classes were canceled for a third straight day as crews continued to clear the campus of 18 inches of snow.
  • According to a local media report, an 81-year-old St. Louis County man has died after falling into an icy ravine. The victim's name has not been released. The man was walking his dog last night in Creve Coeur. When the dog returned home a short time later without its owner, the man's family contacted police. Within an hour, emergency workers found foot tracks leading them to a deep embankment near a lake, about 100 yards from the man's home. He was in a foot of icy water. A spokeswoman at St. John's Mercy Medical Center confirmed early this morning that the man died. It is the second death in Missouri believed to be connected to the winter storm. A 55-year-old woman died in a crash near Rolla early Tuesday.
  • Mo. Gov. Jay Nixon is asking the federal government for an emergency declaration for all of the state's 114 counties to help with the costs of responding to the snowstorm. Nixon's office says the governor submitted the request to President Barack Obama on Wednesday as the state began digging out from the blizzard. The declaration would let the state and local governments seek reimbursement for some costs in protecting public health and safety during the period that began Monday with freezing rain. Nixon says the record or near-record snowfall that hit much of Missouri has burdened local jurisdictions and the state with "tremendous" costs.