St. Louis County Library Patrons Can Stream Movies, Music and More
Starting May 5, the St. Louis County Library system will be the first in the area to offer instant streaming of movies, TV shows, music and audio books.
All a person needs to access the system is a county library card, the PIN number he or she received a couple of years ago and an email address. The streaming is available through hoopla, and people can sign in through the library’s emedia site. (www.slcl.org/emedia)
There will be no waiting or reserves for the titles and music available through hoopla, but each patron is limited to a total combination of 10 movies, shows, books and music a calendar month. People also need to be aware that their plan’s data rates are likely to apply.
According to electronic resource coordinator Heather Pehrson the checkout period for a movie or TV show will be 2-3 days; an album, 7 days; and books, 21 days. Check in is automatically done, so late fees are impossible.
Pehrson said they made “a lot of calls to other libraries ad this system got the best reviews.” The items can be viewed or heard on a mobile device, but an app – through GooglePlay or the Apple store – would be required.
While Pehrson says the system is designed to be easy to use, those wanted in-person help can go to any of the following help sessions:
- Natural Bridge Branch, 7606 Natural Bridge Rd., 2 p.m. May 15
- Daniel Boone Branch, 300 Clarkson Rd., 2 p.m. May 20
- Lewis and Clark Branch, 9909 Lewis-Clark Blvd., 2 p.m. May 22
- Eureka Hills Branch, 156 Eureka Towne Ctr., 10 a.m. May 23
- Thornhill Branch, 12863 Willowyck Dr., 10 a.m. May 27
- Oak Bend Branch, 842 S. Holmes Ave, 2 p.m. May 29
- Natural Bridge Branch, 7606 Natural Bridge Rd., 2 p.m. June 19
- Headquarters, 1640 South Lindbergh, 10 a.m. June 20
- Samuel C. Sachs Branch, 16400 Burkhardt Pl., 2 p.m. June 23
- Grand Glaize Branch, 1010 Meramec Station Rd., 10 a.m. June 24
- Florissant Valley Branch, 195 New Florissant Rd. S., 2 p.m. June 26
- Mid-County Branch, 7821 Maryland Ave, 6 p.m. June 26
To register for one of the hoopla programs visit www.slcl.org/events or call 314 994-3300.