Wed March 9, 2011
St. Louis named recipient of IBM "Smarter Cities" grant
By Kelsey Proud
What does the grant entail? And how will it be used in St. Louis?
According to the Post-Dispatch:
- IBM will give the city up to $400,000 worth of services to help it better analyze and use data to provide city services.
- A spokeswoman for Mayor Francis Slay said the St. Louis project will focus on public safety.
- A team of IBM consultants will spend several weeks here studying the use of data and technology in the city's various law enforcement agencies "from arrest to probation."
- Over the next three years, IBM said that it plans to give $50 million worth of grants to 100 cities.
- IBM is focusing the grants on different areas such as healthcare, education, transportation and energy.