Five things to know about the Energizer split
St. Louis-based Energizer Holdings Inc. is splitting into two companies. The complicated move was announced in April 2014 and takes effect July 1.
It is the beginning of a new chapter for a company that dates back more than 100 years with the Wilkinson Sword brand razor.
Here are some of the key points surrounding the separation.
The Energizer name is not going away:
- Energizer Holdings Inc. is the name of the company anchored by the Energizer and Eveready battery brands. It includes other household products such as flashlights, USB chargers and gas-powered generators.
- Edgewell Personal Care Company is the name of the former Energizer Personal Care division. It includes razor blades, shave cream and sunscreen with brand names like Wilkinson Sword, Schick, Edge and Hawaiian Tropic
Both companies will be headquartered in St. Louis:
- Energizer Holdings Inc. remains at the Maryville University Drive location in west St. Louis County and employs approximately 350.
- Edgewell Personal Care Company is headquartered at Timberlake Corporate Center III in Chesterfield and has approximately 140 workers.
- The total number of local employees is about the same as before the split.
Both companies will pack a financial punch:
- The revenue for what is now Energizer Holdings in fiscal year 2014 was $1.8 billion.
- The revenue for what has become Edgewell Personal Care Company was $2.6 billion for the same period.
More streamlining is possible
- Both companies will continue to monitor options to remain competitive following the 2012 announcement of an ongoing, global restructuring program.
- That initiative included a reduction in Energizer regional offices from 11 to 6.
- The shutdown of a plant in Quebec and consolidation of those operations to a facility Delaware will continue, as will the exit from the industrial blade sector.
- Officials say each company will determine their own potential restructuring paths.
The Bunny stays:
- Energizer Holdings Inc. is continuing to use the Energizer Bunny as the logo for the well-known battery line and use the ticker symbol "ENR" on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Edgewell Personal Care Company is using a hummingbird for its corporate image and trading under the ticker "EPC" on the NYSE.