The birthday cakes are disappearing from St. Louis streets, and the Missouri History Museum’s 250 in 250 closes up shop this weekend. But here's a one-stop place to find — at any time — the stories inspired by St. Louis' big anniversary about what makes our area special.
We had fun with history
- Happy 250th Birthday St. Louis! Let's Take A Walk Down Memory Lane (And A Quiz) ... Try the quiz again.
- Pard' My French: St. Louis' Peculiar Way Of Saying Local Street Names ... Parisians will cringe.
- This La Rue Bonhomme Predates U City's Old Bonhomme ... First city streets may have changed names
And told it straight
- St. Louis At 250: Why This Place ... August Chouteau liked humidity?
- Osage Nation Leaders Help Explain St. Louis' Earliest Days ... A largely helpful relationship
- First Evidence Of French Colonial Homes Discovered Under Poplar Street Bridge ... New discoveries keep happening
- Why Is St. Louis Named After A French King Who Was Born 800 Years Ago?
- 10 Things To Know About Saint Louis, Himself, On His 800th Birthday ... Learn about Louis IX
- What Did Explorers Lewis and Clark Do When They Got Back To St. Louis? ... How you pronounce Sacagawea
- Opera Teaches History Of The Ville Neighborhood And Inspires Students ... Annie Malone, Chuck Berry
- Century-Old War Leaves Lasting Impact On St. Louis German Identity ... Berlin Avenue became Pershing Avenue
- Religious Groups Share Common Goal: Assisting Immigrants ... Churches as constant refuges
We found old photos — and riverfront renderings
- St. Louis In Photos: Then And Now ... What was at Fourth and Market?
- These Historical Photos Show How Much St. Louis Has Changed
- Instead Of The Arch, The St. Louis Riverfront Could Have Had … This ... The work of Oscar C. Kuehn
- Forget About The 250th Birthday. Historical Photos Show St. Louis Celebrating Its 150th ... Meeting in Forest Park
- The Sheldon Presents Photos Of St. Louis At 250 Years ... Not all photos are old
We also highlighted things that make St. Louis special
- Why Do Fish Fries Catch All Kinds Of St. Louis Fans? ... It's that time again
- 'Deep And Authentic' Passion Fuels Cardinal Nation ... Best fans in baseball
- The Big Bird Cage: Where The Saint Louis Zoo Took Flight After The 1904 World's Fair ... Innovation and excellence
- St. Louis Family Hands Down Legacy Of Muny Enjoyment — And Employment ... Passing down jobs and seats
- Twelve St. Louisans Take Us Back To The Mid-Century Heyday Of Gaslight Square ... Crystal Palace and Three Fountains
- Hot Air Helps The Great Forest Park Balloon Race Stay Afloat ... Balloon glow was an add on
- Super Secret Government Work Happens In Some Of St. Louis' Oldest Buildings ... Near the brewery
- In Haunted City, Reaching Out To Ghosts Has a Long History ... Eerie tours in Laclede's Landing
- Spirit of St. Louis Grounded For Preservation Work At Air And Space Museum ... Lindbergh's plane gets spruced up